Stomach upset, IBS. Taking colospa, imosec-m. Will urea, hydrogen breath test help?

My daughter is suffering from continuous stomach upset during the last five years.So many tests have been performed but not diagonised.Some doctors say she is suffering from IBS and take medicine regularly colospa,imosec-m.But it has not give improvement.I have hard about Hydrogen breath test , Urea breath test .Can you suggest me where these tests are conducted in and who the best gastroentrologist for this treatment.
Asked On : Thu, 20 Sep 2012
Diagnosis of IBS is commonly done on the basis of some clinical diagnostic criteria which include the following important things: Recurrent abdominal pain or discomfortb at least 3 days per month in the last 3 months associated with two or more of the following:
1. Improvement with defecation
2. Onset associated with a change in frequency of stool
3. Onset associated with a change in form (appearance) of stool.
Although hydrogen breath test is also done for the purpose of diagnosing the IBS and other food intolerance, but Urea breath test is used specifically for the H Pylori gastric infection for ulcer.
Now the drugs prescribed in cases of IBS are mainly for the symptomatic relief of the patient and colospa and imosec-m is doing the same jobs. Specific drug to treat the condition of IBS is not available, but with the use of drugs to treat the patient symptoms and taking care of the food and dietary habits which deteriorate the condition this can be controlled. Many drugs of different groups are used which helps in relieving the symptom of the patients along with dietary modification and fiber supplementation. It is important to consult your gastroenterologist to find the accurate diagnosis and treatment schedule for your daughter and try to maintain that schedule.
Thanks and take care.

General Surgeon Dr. Grzegorz Stanko's  Response

Thank you for the query.

The tests you have mentioned are for Helicobacter Pylori diagnose. This is the bacteria strongly associated with peptic ulcer. As endoscopy is very popular, and there can be samples taken for H.Pylori test, there is no need to perform tests you have mentioned. So, if your daughter suffers from upper abdominal pain witch occurs after a meal, nausea, endoscopy should be performed. It is very easy to tell that someone is suffering from IBS, but this is very often not true.
So your daughter should have endoscopy to rule peptic ulcer out. Moreover, abdominal ultrasound or CT should be performed with fool blood work with liver and pancreas enzymes, urine test and colonoscopy if necessary.

Hope this will help.