Stomach rumbling, unable to drink more water, constipation, loss of appetite, unable to eat fibrous food. Treatment for symptoms?

Hello doctor, if you could help me in this regard, it would be great.Kindly help me pls pls...i got married 2 yrs back.My husband is not a healthy person.I have enquired him, i would not able to get any answers from him. Irregularities seen in my husband: 1.His stomach is shaking, i can able to view it. This is not seen at all time.If he takes more food, i can able to see this 2.He would not able to drink more water 3.He face difficulties while motioning; usually he takes more time for that...4.He would not able to eat more food.5.Most of the time, he would like to skip breakfast, avoiding vegetables and taking less fruits that too rarely..I dont know whether he undergone any operation before. We have 1 girl baby at the age of 1 yr.Kindly tell me the possibilities of the disease, based on these conditions...He is not coming to any doctor for visit. Pls help me...
Asked On : Thu, 14 Jun 2012
Hi Prema,

I understand your concern for your husband.

Let me reassure you that his symptoms are only slightly deviated from normal. There is no major underlying gastro intestinal problem in him.

Your answers:

1. Bowel movements increase after taking food. This is very normal. You need not worry about this.

2. He needs to take at least 2 litres of water in a day. If he is doing this, then there is no need to worry.

3. Ask him to take a big plantain every day so that he can pass his motions easily.

4. Do not force him to eat more food.

5. However, encourage him to consume lot of fruits and salads and to never miss a meal.

Let him make a few dietary changes as said above and he should be fine soon.

If the problem remains after 6 months, he may require a colonoscopy to be done.

Hope I have answered your query.

Wish your husband a speedy recovery.

General & Family Physician Dr. Aparna Kohli's  Response
Hi Prema,
Thanks for writing in.
I do not think there is something seriously wrong with your husband. Sometimes, movements of the intestine are visible in people who are thin. I think his constipation is because he is not consuming enough fruits, vegetables and water.
I dont think you need to worry.
Hope this helps