Stomach pains, tightening throat, food comes up throats, less frequent bowel movements

Hello. Ever since I was in middle school ( 20 years old now) when i got a severe stomach virus for 2 weeks(doctors didnt know what was wrong with me. I had severe stomach aches, possible acid reflux , and vomiting/ diarrhea at the exact same time) I have had often sharp stomach pains, tightening throat everyday( still breath normally), stomach acid and recently-eaten- food comes up my throats, and less frequent than normal bowel movements. I don t know what it could be and I was wondering if there is something to explain or help it. Please help in any way you can.
Asked On : Mon, 9 Apr 2012
Jun 2015
Hello dear,

The symptoms suggest that you might be having Gastro esophageal reflux disease, which is caused by the reflux of acid from stomach to esophagus due to relaxation of the sphincter at the lower part of esophagus.

Management consists of:
1. Lifestyle modification- like weight reduction, sleeping on the left side, or with upper body raised.
2. Dietary modification- avoid consuming irritating substances such as acidic & rich foods, caffeine, nicotine, and alcohol.
3. Medical management- Proton pump inhibitors like Omeprazole, Pantoprazole (which prevent acid formation in stomach)+ Domperidone preparations (strengthens the sphincter & prevents reflux)

So, it will be better to consult your treating Doctor/ Gastroenterologist.
Investigation like Ultrasound scan of abdomen & Upper GI endoscopy will be helpful in clinching the diagnosis.

Wish you a good health.