Stomach pains, eventually vomiting violently. What could be wrong?

My stomach pains begin as mild but rapidly turn to be excruciating pain and sometimes i am on the floor with them trying to escape the pain.and eventually vomiting violently until my stomach is empty and after awhile the pain subsides and eveything seems normal again.This can happen a few times in one day and sometimes i am pain free for weeks but i panic everytime i get a mild pain as i worry that it may turn into a full blown one.
Asked On : Mon, 15 Apr 2013

Thank you for the query.

It is very hard to tell not knowing exact localisation of your pain.
Your symptoms can be appear due to food allergy, intestines infection, peptic ulcer, gallstones, pancreas disease, partial intestines obstruction, kidney stones and many more.
Strong and sudden pain is more characteristic for small intestine spasm (partial bowel obstruction), gallstones and urinary tract stones.
If your pain is related with food, peptic ulcer, gallstones or bowels obstruction is most probable.
If the pain is present in the right upper abdomen and radiates to the back, gallstones are most possible.
If the pain is in the one side back and radiates down to the lower abdomen and same side leg, kidney stones are most possible.
If the pain is in the upper middle abdomen, peptic ulcer is most probable.
If before the pain, there is gas and stool blockage, the abdomen gets bloated, bowels obstruction seems most probable.
I suggest you to visit your doctor and have some tests performed. You should start with abdominal ultrasound, blood work, liver tests, urine analysis and abdominal X-ray. If nothing will be found, next step is upper GI endoscopy.

Hope this will help.