Stomach pain, vomiting, loose stools, fluctuating heart rate, currently in ICU. Causes?

My dad has been in the hospital for 3 weeks. He went in due to stomach pains, vomitting and loose stools . He barely ate the week prior to being checked in. The doctors think their may be a partial blockage but nothing show up in the scans. He even had surgery but the surgeon only removed some scar tissue. Nonetheless, his heartrate fluctuates drastically and thus he is in ICU currently. What is the cause? and What should I ask his doctor?
Asked On : Tue, 28 Aug 2012