Stomach pain on right side, fluid in upper right quadrant. Causes and cure?

my 14 year old son had started having stomach pains on the right side so we went to the er and they did blood, urine and ct scan test with contrast. they ruled out appendicitis and kidney stones and said it was a viral infection and sent him home. the next day the radioligy department called me and asked how he was doing and said he needs to follow up with his family doctor immediately because the radioligist looked at his results and he found that he has fluid in the upper right quadrant. i was wondering what this could be caused from?
Asked On : Tue, 29 Jan 2013