Stomach pain below left ribs. Feeling warm, not fevered. Why is it?

My husband is having severe pain in his stomach just below the ribs on the left side. He feels aliitle bit warm but not fevered yet. It came on about 10 hours ago and the pain is getting worse. It is really uncomfortable. He says he feels like he has been punched in the stomach. This is about the 3rd time this has happened in the last 6 months.
Asked On : Mon, 15 Apr 2013
Jan 2013
Does he has acidic belching/ abdominal discomfort/ gargling sound in abdomen/ abdominal bloating after taking meals?
Does he have retrosternal burning pain causing difficulty in swallowing?
Does he has fever/ spasmodic abdominal pain?
Is he alcoholic also?
Does this pain increase on eating food?
With the available describes symptoms, there could be possibility of peptic ulcer disease/ pancreatitis/ left lower chest pathology or splenic flexure pathology.
He should consult with internal medicine specialist/ gastroenterologist and should go for thorough check up.
He should also go for complete blood count, Ultrasound imaging abdomen, thyroid profile, blood sugar, x ray abdomen and serum electrolytes.
Meanwhile, He should take proton pump inhibitors along with prokinetics for relief of your symptoms.
He should also take tramadol for relief of your symptoms.
Avoid oily and spicy food, tomatoes, citrus fruits, excessive tea & coffee, chocolates.
Take soft diet along with yogurt.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
General Surgeon Dr. Grzegorz Stanko's  Response

Thank you for the query.

Such pain can be caused by peptic ulcer, stomach inflammation or any other stomach disease. Especially if it appears after a meal, your husband uses plenty of painkillers, has acid reflux or nausea.
However in this area heart is also localized. That is why, with every such pain, heart condition should be checked. Especially if the pain radiates to the left arm and jaw, shortness of breath is present.
I suggest your husband to visit your doctor, He should have heart ECG, blood work, heart enzymes, abdominal ultrasound. If nothing will be found, upper GI endoscopy should be also performed.
It is possible that such pain is caused by rib nerves compression. In such case, Diclophenac (prescribed by your doctor) should be helpful for temporary pain help. Increased physical activity (like pool swimming) should help with muscles and nerves of this area.

Hope this will help.
General & Family Physician Dr. Het Ram Bishnoi 's  Response
Sep 2013
Hi,thanks for the query.
Three times within six months.
If it would have been regular it might have some thing really bad, but pain is after some gap.
Still there is a cause of concern as get a ultrasound of abdomen at once without any carelessness.
If report is fine than need not to worry and treatment is very simple.
Please note down the following things.
1 Anxiety of workload, stress, strain fried spiced food, untimely food , over feeding as in some party.
2 Alcohol, smoking.
3. Acute gastritis is a main cause of pain in the stomach and this also causes warmth over stomach (affected part)
So consult a doctor , he will advice you in proper way.
Good luck for your's husband health. Dr. HET.