Stomach discomfort after drinking. Nauseated. Reason?

I was drinking last Night (Captain Morgan and Root Beer) but I didn't throw up. Fast forward to this morning and my stomach feels very uncomfortable. It feels like as if I want to throw up but I just can't seem to. This feeling has been with me since the time I woke up. I was wondering if my stomach may have suffered damage last night.
Asked On : Wed, 1 May 2013

Thank you for the query.

Alcohol is always able to cause some damages to the stomach mucosa. It can be just an irritation, inflammation or it can trigger peptic ulcer. If you have had stomach pains before, nausea, etc, stomach cancer should be ruled out.
Moreover, alcohol can also cause acute pancreatitis, gallstones pain. This conditions can give pain in the stomach location. So it does not have to be stomach.

I suggest you to visit your doctor and have abdominal ultrasound, blood work, liver tests (AST,ALT,GGTP), amylase, urine amylase, bilirubin, urine analysis and gastroscopy as a next step.

In a meanwhile you should avoid fatty foods, spicy foods, alcohol, coffee, fruit juices.

Hope this will help.
Internal Medicine Specialist Dr. Mayank Bhargava's  Response
Jan 2013
With the available described symptoms, there appears to be possibility of gastritis or gastroenteritis.
Presence of abdominal heaviness suggests the diagnosis.
You should consult with with internal medicine specialist/ gastroenterologist and should go for thorough check up.
You should also go for blood sugar fasting and postprandial, thyroid profile, lipid profile, renal function test and endoscopy.
Treatment depends on exact diagnosis.
Meanwhile, you should take proton pump inhibitors and prokinetics.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava