Stitches on the lip after falling and getting hurt. Taken antibiotics. Bump under the scar. Still having pain. What could it be?

hello. I tripped at school and had to get stitches right below my bottom lip, 3 on the inside and 4 on the outside. I was given an antibiotic and stitches were removed a week after. now there is a bump under the scar on outside of my lip. it hurts if I push on it. I m going to doctor soon because for regular check up, but I m still worried about it. any ideas what it could be?
Asked On : Fri, 21 Dec 2012
Cosmetic & Plastic Surgeon 's  Response
You have actually not mentioned how many days before the stitches were applied. In the early phase of healing, there would be induration and the apposed edges would appear as elevated with a bump underneath. This is absolutely normal and would slowly disappear with time. However, in individuals predisposed to the development of abnormal scarring, scar hypertrophy occurs later on and can similarly present as an elevation of the scar. This would involve the whole of the scar. A localized bump however signifies collection under the scar or presence of residual suture remnants.