Stinging sensation on the kneecap, swollen veins, red bruise with whitish spots in the area. Had broken ankle previously. Reason for swelling?

I was walking the dog and felt an itchy sting sensation on my kneecap, when I looked down I saw there were 3 adjoining veins that had swollen over the knee cap. When I got home a large red bruise with a couple of whitish small areas were within the bruised area. I am a female, 43, a smoker and drink a couple of glasses of wine a day. My weight would be around 61kg. My diet is healthy. I did however break my ankle on the same leg, simply standing up when my ankle wasn t straight and this took 3 months to heal. I also used to get a sharp pain in my thigh of the same leg when I used to powerwalk but gave that up 3 years ago after the ankle break. Not sure if any of that would have any relevance though.
Asked On : Tue, 1 Jan 2013