Stinging sensation in rib cage on breathing, pain on breathing. Due to lungs?

Hello :) I have experienced some weird pain for the last 2 months. When i breath in (sometimes out aswell) deeply I get this stinging sensation on areas of the rib cage, usually in the middle. It is not really a sharp pain but a slight stinging sensation and when I hold my breath, the stinging sensation is quite constant. Sometimes it also hurts when breathing normally. Could it maybe be my lung?
Asked On : Mon, 23 Jul 2012

The pain that occurs on deep breath and which is well localized is either due to a rib/ muscular pain or it is pleural pain (a membrane covering the lungs). The lungs normally do not pain as they do not have pain receptors!

A short course of pain killers will abort the pain. Get your chest X-ray done to rule out pelurisy.

-Dr. Tushar