Stiff knee joint with swelling. MRI shows partial tear of ACL. Treatment options?

Hi Doc, i was into yoga session last friday and the instructor for warm up asked us to jump and part legs and get back to ground . in the process before landing my knee buckled and i fell . i continued exercising for 20 mts after that as i felt no discomfort . That afternoon , i slept with the injured leg hanging off the bed for an hour , when i woke up the knee joint was stiff, swollen and hurt. iI underwent MRI as recommended by the orthopedic surgeon , the Mri says partial tear of ACL , miniscus tear not seen . I want to know is surgery the only option or i can rest knee for 3 weeks , then do physiotherapy and see . What would u recommend
Asked On : Mon, 5 Nov 2012