Statins prescribed due to high LDL levels. Diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. Is the LDL high due to diabetes?

My Doctor says my LDL is 145. My HDL is 39. Triglycerides are normal. He says he may put me on some statins. Are my readings that abnormal? Could it be because I was recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes . My AIC went from 14 to 7.3 in 2 months!! My readings are running in 80 s and 90 s. I m not on insulin-but on metaformin. Is my Doctor concerned about my cholesterol readings because of my diabetes??
Asked On : Mon, 28 Jan 2013
Your LDL is definitely high and ideally it should be brought down to below 80 as you are diabetic.
Dyslipidemia is very common in type 2 diabetics and it's aggressive management along with blood sugar control is rewarding.While tight blood glucose control helps to prevent or reduce micro vascular complications,aggressive management of dyslipidemia along with other risk factors such as hypertension,obesity leads to prevention or slowing down of process of atherosclerosis,the mother of all macro vascular diseases like coronary artery disease,cerebrovasular disease and peripheral vascular disease.
80% of diabetics die of macro vascular disease.Your doctor is definitely right in putting up on statins.