Stage of disease on the basis of PET CT Scan results

How can we find out the stage of disease on the basis of PET CT Scan results
Asked On : Mon, 6 Dec 2010
Radiologist, Nuclear Medicine 's  Response
Staging of cancer requires the following:
1. Status of the primary tumor (T stage)
2. Status of the draining lymph nodes (N stage)
3. Status of metastases to distant organs (M Stage).

Cancer cells usually utilise more glucose than normal cells. In PET scan, the medicine used is FDG (Fluoro deoxy glucose) which is a glucose analogue. FDG behaves exactly like glucose and is trapped in the cancer cells. Normal cells also take up FDG but the amount of FDG in cancer cells is many time greater than normal cells. This is imaged using PET camera and are seen as hot spots.

PET scan is the most sensitive modality in identifying N stage and M stage. Hence, PET scan is very useful in accurate staging.
General & Family Physician Dr. Anand Babu M's  Response
Hi welcome to Healthcaremagic

hi..., PET CT scan is a new technology of scanning, in which high energy
radiation is used to scan, which is even able to find out the metastasis of
the tumors, extent of spread more clear than MRI or ct or USG.. only thing is., it is costly....
Hope I have answered your question..

Takecare...