Stage four brain cancer, fainting, dehydration. Can brain cancer advance to stage four in one year?

HI, my mom was diagnosed with stage 4 brain cancer in late June ... the 27th and passed away less than a week later on July 3rd ... how long does it take for brain cancer to reach stage 4 ... my mom was having episodes of passing out/blacking out 4 times in the previous year and the ER doctors kept telling us that she was just dehydrated ... a CT scan that was done in JUNE 2011 showed nothing ... is it really possible that the cancer could advance to stage 4 in less than a year??
Asked On : Tue, 27 Nov 2012