Stage fear, shyness, fear of public speaking, heart palpitations. Treatment?

Dear Doctor, I have stage fear and shyness, due to these i am unable to lead in any office meetings and unable to stand in front of the crowds, my nerves are shakening and my heart beat is going up, words are not coming in mouth when I stand in the stage. Do i want to take any treatment for this. Now I am 34 y.
Asked On : Tue, 31 Jul 2012
Diabetologist 's  Response
Thanks for choosing HCM,

yes stage fear is a very common problem
when your mind and body thinks that you are in fear or fighting condition ,adrenaline gets released and causes the symptoms what all you have told

this occurs due to many reasons
1.fear of being punished(in case of students)
2.fear of being judged(that you have knowledge or not)
3.fear of being evaluated(in interview,viva .office)etc

this is seen not only in persons who are new to get on the stage
even many persons who attended a thousands of meetings face this

stage fear generally do not require treatment
self practise is enough
if needed, counselling from a doctor(your family doctor is good enough)can be taken

but you need to have a will to overcome it

please follow these tips

1.Being prepared is your first line of attack .prepare well,try to know more about what you want to talk ,
be sure of what you want to talk confident that you are inferior to no one
3.some people feel that they dont look good and they could not concentrate
so leave about such feelings ,remember you need to do your duty,you need to talk
if you do that no one can comment on you,only when you are not able to do your duty ,you make people focus on other issues about you
4.see how the others are talking
5.practise well at home
6. talk for yourself before the mirror(this may seem silly but it really really works)
7.stay cool and confident
8.when you are about to start take a deep breath before you speak ,this small time can help your mind to get habituated it also makes your mind fresh and cool and free to talk
9.leave about what the people sitting before you think or how do they react
you are speaking what is right ,so no is going to harm you
10.leave about what is going to be the consequence,forget about future ,think about present and your duty to talk

read books,watch people
you can overcome it without treatment ,after following these things
if seriously you think that you need a treatment..... talk to your doctor

so be confident and brave
the thing that you have got a job and you are standing before them to talk itself tells you are great
and succesful,succesful than many who could not be in your position

dont worry
good luck
hope i answered your query
feel free to contact me for further queries
thank you

General & Family Physician Dr. Bimal Desai's  Response
Thanks for query,
I think you need to increase your confidence first.Just try to attend more publicly,Talk with unknowns will improve your performances.
First learn it with your friends.Give speech to them that will improve your level of confidence.
A mild beta blocker may help but improving self confidence is most important.