Stabbing pain in lungs & palpitations after consuming alcohol. Smoker, suffer from anxiety attacks.

Hi there. I was out last night I comsumed alcohol but only a few drinks I am a smoker and I do suffer with anxiety attacks but this was a totally different experience. I started having a really dull but sharp stabbing pain at the front and the back of my lungs then I got up to dance and I started to have palpitations and I thought I was goin to collapse do you have any idea what this could be as Im really worried. Thanks.
Asked On : Wed, 4 Jul 2012
Pulmonologist 's  Response
Hello Dear

Persons drinking alcohol sometimes do develop palpitation, chest pain and fainting attacks; this usually occurs because of abnormality in heart rate after drinking alcohol most commonly - Atrial Fibrillation (Holiday Heart Syndrome) & Supraventricular Tachycardia(SVT), these arrythmias originate above ventricles. You have to consult your cardiologist for proper checkup and treatment. Also avoid ALCOHOL drinking & Smoking.
Good Luck