Sputum culture: WBC 25 epithilial cell, 10-25 gram stain final, positive cocci

I HAD A SPUTUM CULTURE THE RESULTS WERE: WBC 25 EPITH CELL 10-25 GRAM STAIN FINAL: MANY WBC AND FEW GRAM POSITIVE COCCI. DO I NEED TO SEEK FURTHER TREATMENT? ALSO THIS WAS CULTURE CAME FROM NASAL AND NOT FROM BEING COUGHED UP.
Asked On : Fri, 30 Mar 2012
The result mentioned above is not of a sputum culture but is forsputum gram staining.As per the result you have an infection caused by a spherical bacteria most commonly staphylococci or streptococci.you might have to get your sputum cultured which will show you which bacteria it is and which antibiotic it is sensitive to.If as you say it is from the nose you might have to cough up some sputum early in the morning preferably before breakfast and get it tested again as in some people these cocci are normally found in the nostrils.If by any chance you cannot cough up the sputum you can try taking a saline nebulisation in a nearby hospital.This can help you to bring out the sputum in case it is scanty