Spreading rashes after getting a tattoo. Swelling in the ankles and feet. Am I allergic to black metallic inks?

After getting 2 new tattoos I ve developed a rash (non painful, non itchy) that has spread, but intensifies around the tattoos. Now my ankles and feet are beginning to swell rapidly. The tattoos were on my calves. I know the equipment was sterile, since the shop I got them at was my own, and I did the artwork myself. I ve had this reaction once before, many years ago. My foot was swollen so painfully that all I could do was keep it elevated. What could be causing this? I m I one of the one in a million people who are allergic to black metallic inks?
Asked On : Sat, 2 Feb 2013