Sprained lower tooth. Area sensitive. Radiating pain on eating. Relief by massaging gums

Hi, I have had a problem with my left jaw for the last 3 months. Went to the dentist and he said I had sprained a lower tooth by clenching my teeth . He did an x-ray and the tooth looked clear. He molded a guard and I have worn it for the last 3 weeks with no change. If I eat anything hot or chew on anything cold my jaw seizes up in a piercing pain. It starts in the chin just below the tooth that was sensitive. (4th from the back) Then radiates to all 4 back teeth on the bottom. It then moves to my top teeth on the left, cheek bone area, in front of my ear, below the ear and into the glands below the chin. I have tried heat and cold compresses and the pain is to severe to keep them on. Massaging the gum seems to help a bit. The pain intensifies until the whole side of my face feels as though it is seizing. The episodes happen about once a day for approx. a 20 minute period and then stops. As it is easing, below my eye and in my cheek and in front of my ear and jawline is sore to touch. I am to see my dentist again in another week but was wondering if perhaps it was best to see my family physician? Do you have any idea as to what this could be? Any help would be appreciated, thank you for your time. Pat
Asked On : Tue, 17 Apr 2012