Sprained ankle, persistent soreness and bruising, difficulty in flattening foot, fracture ruled out. Suggestive treatment?

I just have a question about a sprained ankle . I sprained it 5 days ago and went to the ER 3 days ago for x-rays. They said it didn t look broken in the x-rays, but they didn t know for sure due to the swelling . They gave me an air cast and crutches. They told me to stay off of it for about 3 more days, and then I could start to try and walk on it a little bit with crutches. It is still very sore and bruised, although the swelling has gone down marginally. I can flatten my foot on the floor without much pain, but when I tried to put weight on it, it was like an explosion of painful pins and needles. They told me to follow up with an orthopedist, but since my insurance doesn t kick in until Jan. 1, I can t really do that. I just feel lost, and my job requires me to be in my feet . I don t really know where to go from here.
Asked On : Fri, 30 Nov 2012