Sprain in ankle, severe pain, wore crutches, ice water, still hurts after 5 months. Problem?

about 5 months ago i was at football practice when i a lineman stepped on my ankle from the side i felt it kinda pop, but i didnt worry to much so i tried to walk it off but when i stepped on it, it hurt really bad and it was no way i could or was going to walk on it. so i went to the football trainer and he told me it was just a sprain so i wore crutches for a few days and put it in ice water then i could walk on it but the smallest times i step on it wrong or anything it would leave me in really bad pain so i stayed off of it. now its been about 5 moths later and sometimes it still hurts even when im sitting down or if i step on a curve wrong it hurts, whats wrong with my ankle
Asked On : Mon, 4 Jun 2012