Spotting since a month, on birth control loestrin, sore breasts. Pregnancy test negative. What can be going on?

I have been spotting for about a month now. I am on Birth control ( lo LoestrinFE) I keep having cramps and sore breasts. I was supose to get my period 3 weeks ago and have not. According to my pills I m due for my period next wed. My gyno said it is most likely my pills and will need to go on a high dosage. I also took two pregnancy test , both negative. I would like to know what is going on so I can stop stressing.
Asked On : Sat, 2 Jun 2012
Anyone can have a weird cycle once in a while. You may have developed an ovarian cyst last month that produced more estrogen than usual. Hopefully this next cycle will be normal. I'm not sure how long you been on the pills. Usually breast tenderness is much less for women on pills and the longer you're on the pills the less likely you are to have any breast tenderness.