Spotting since IUD insertion. Painful sex, dark discharge. What are my options?

I have had iud since March and have had fairly continuous spotting since insertion, in the last few months intercourse has become painful and the discharge is dark. I have seen a doctor and she said that the iud may be poking and irritating the lining of my uterus . That was almost two Months ago what are my options. And if I have it removed what is a reliable form of birth control that will be effective as soon as possible after removal.
Asked On : Tue, 13 Nov 2012