Spotting instead of periods, pain on inserting tampon. Cause?

I have always had regular periods. I start heavy for two days and then it lightens up and last for about four more days. This month I started on the Jan. 17th I have only been spotting, it is not even enough to fill up one tampon . This is going on my ninth day and is starting to make me worry. It hurts when I insert the tampon.
Asked On : Tue, 29 Jan 2013
hello there!
thank you for asking,
Spotting and menses and alot of pain needs a bit work up. 7 to 10 days is average time for that. If you dont have excessive menses then all you need is to look out for etiology of dysmenorrhea (pain ful menses) atop of that is endometriosis for which you need work up and which will be advised by Gynecologist., So A good expert's eye and some reassurance is all you need.

Good Luck
S Khan