Spotting every day for months. Bleeding heavily with large clots during and after sex. Cause?

Hi, I am 39 and have been spotting nearly every day for a few months. I have now started bleeding extremely heavily during and after sex although I have no pain. The last time this happened was last night. Before bed I used a tampon in addition to a towel and this morning I had saturated both of those and the blood also went through 2 sheets, a mattress protector and the mattress. I have been losing extremely large clots today, both my husband and I are really worried as to what the cause could be.
Asked On : Sat, 16 Mar 2013