Spot above ear, painful, spongy, tender and swollen. What it could be?

hello! i woke up this morning with a spot above my left ear that is tender to the touch and feels a bit swollen -it also feels like it is a vein as I can feel a pulse , the spot is above my ear but seems to go into my cheekbone/ temple slightly and feels spongy when I press on it and a tad painful. Any idea what this could be?
Asked On : Thu, 7 Jun 2012
ENT Specialist 's  Response

The tender spot you have described seems like a lymph node which has got infected. The lymph nodes here commonly get infected if you have scalp or ear infections. If they are not very large and very painful if can be ignored provided you dont have any scalp or ear infection. You could take some painkillers to relive the symptoms and if it continues to be a trouble better to meet a ENT specialist.

There is an artery which goes in that area and its the transmitted pulses you are getting from that and not to worry.

I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr Divya