Spinning of the head, nausea, pain in the ear. What is wrong?

Woke up this morning with room spinning around me as if I was drunk. When I got out of bed I could not keep My balance & a few times stumbled over. I felt very nauseous at this point & the only thing to help Was to lie down. At one point I got a sharp pain just under my left ear where it meets my jaw bone. I felt very dizzy & sick for around 3.1/2 hours then started to feel better. I still feel fine but I would like to know what it may have been?
Asked On : Tue, 22 Jan 2013