Hello, we have had an spillage of kerosene oil while away for a week-end, as a result of our landlord replacing our boiler, leaving it running for the duration of our absence with the oil connection temporarily set as the engineers were not qualified to safey test the boiler resulting in the boiler leaking kerosne onto the bottom of the boiler. The fumes were overbearing and the system disconnected. This was on sunday evening, 16th December. Despite attempts by engineers to neutralise the spillage the oil fumes are present throughout the house, particularly in the area where the boiler is housed. We had to move out as the fumes were making us feeling sick and both experiencing the taste of fumes and tightness in the chester. The engineers had told us we needed to run the boiler to burn the fuel which we tried, only to result in the fumes multiplying. The department of environment advised we move out as a health precaution. We have spent a number of hours packing items from the home, whereby the fumes were unbearable even though the property had been vacant for four days and without the boiler switched. We are concerned that after that time spent we both feel unwell and still experiencing tightness in the chest.
Asked On : Thu, 27 Dec 2012