Sores on lips. Has sore throat, swollen gland, elevated temperature, lump inside cheek. Suggestions?

My son has three sores on his lips. He started with chapped lips then the first sore showed up Friday (March 15). Yesterday the second sore showed up and now today a third one popped up. He complained of a sore throat Sunday evening sure enough his right gland was and still is swollen, he had an elevated temp too. He noticed a lump inside his right cheek on Wednesday morning (March 13) and said it was tender. It is still there but hasn t grown. He threw up at 2:30 this morning but seems to be doing better, although weak. My concern is, why do the sores keep multiplying?
Asked On : Sat, 23 Mar 2013