Soreness on the sides of adam's apple. Had a total thyroidectomy. Any side effect of surgery ?

Hi, I have soreness to the touch (when i push down) on the sides of my adam s apple. It seems like the cartilage is sore. I had a total thyroidectomy three years ago, and I may have had some soreness in this area the whole time, but it seems worse now. I have been to the doctor and he did not feel any bumps in my neck . Is it possible that this is a side effect of the surgery? Could the area be damaged permanently? My bloodwork is checked regularly for a recurrence of thyroid cancer , and has been negative. The soreness can fluctuate, and is usally worst at night.
Asked On : Sat, 2 Feb 2013