Soreness in thumb, finger, and forearm. Swollen. Should I be worried?

My left hand..the back of it from my middle finger to my thumb over part of my wrist and slightly up onto my forearm , have been a bit sore to the touch and some movement for a couple of days. I just noticed that the area is a bit swollem as well. I don t recall injuring it. Although, I often move fast without noticing injury right away. This feels strange. Should I be worried or just give it time?
Asked On : Sun, 6 Jan 2013
the non traumatic soreness in the described area can be due to ant soft tissue affection in the hand and wrist area. the most common being that of tendons and its sheaths. the cause can be many like trauma, over use, idiopathic swelling or infection.
As far as your condition is concerned IF THE SWELLING IS MINIMAL, APPLY ICE, LIMIT ACTIVITY OF THAT WRIST AND TAKE ANALGESICS. if the swelling and the soreness dose not settle in a day or two or if increases immediately consult orthopedic doctor.
take care.

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement Dr. Saurabh Gupta's  Response
Feb 2014

According to your description , pain and swelling over your hand, wrist and forearm seems to be inflammatory in nature.

I advice you to give you rest to the part affected, take anti-inflammatory drug like motrin 1 tablet with food as and when required (upto 4 tablets daily) to reduce pain and inflammation and consult your doctor for thorough examination and rule out any infective cause.

Wishing you good health...
Dr Saurabh Gupta.