Soreness in throat, swollen gums and cervical and sub-mandibular lymph nodes, ulcers, strep or oral herpes ?

Hi, I actually developed a slight soreness in the throat about 5 days back... very slight one.of.those maybe the weather sore throats so didn t.really bother with it... as time has passed its become.more and.more painful and more difficult to swallow . I.started gargling with antiseptic mouthwash and drinking.lots of hot liquids from about the third day... but that didn t help at all... then I noticed my gums have swollen up as well and I have some ulcers on the sides of my lip... my cervical and submandibular lymph nodes are also completely tender and swollen... it seems all the swelling of gums lymph nodes and ulcers seem to be alot more prominent oh the right side, yet it is present to some extent on the left as well... since yesterday I can barely even swallow liquids without excruciating pain... I started 1gm Augmentin BD yesterday... but it felt a little as if it made things worse...but maybe my imagination. Today as it stands, my right ear has also began hurting a little and my neck is swollen with difficulty rotating it... Now what I would know is what is the causing agent... is it strep or a virus like oral herpes or mono... what should I keep doing and how long should this last...?? Thanks alot
Asked On : Mon, 30 Apr 2012