Soreness, bruise in the middle of right calf, red rash, warm to touch. Is this rash contagious?

I am a 60year old male. I am experiencing soreness like a bruise in the middle of my right calf . The area is about 3 inches long and with a rough red rash and slightly swollen and warm to the touch. At first I thought I may have gotten an insect bite and this was a reaction, but I can not detect any point where there may have been a bite. These symptoms started 4 days ago and though I still have the rash and the warmth the swelling and soreness are almost gone. I do not have any nausea or fever. What is this and is it contagious? Do I need to seek medical attention?
Asked On : Tue, 10 Jul 2012