Soreness at the base of bone. No discoloration or cyst. Can pilonidal cyst start as lump?

Hi, Starting yesterday I began to experience a sharp soreness a the very base of the bone at the top of my buttcrack whenever I would do sit ups, despite the fact that I was on a thick gym pad. After some searching online, one of the most popular answers to similar problems was a pilonidal cyst . After a personal inspection, however, there is no skin discoloration or evidence of a cyst except the typical pinkishness (I m white) at the crease at the top of the crack. Furthermore, the soreness is originating from what feels as hard as bone, and is touching the bone, but feels like a small lump at the base of the bone. So my question is, can a pilonidal cyst start as a lump with that description, or is this a typical bone shape, and I have just irritated it with a 2-or-3-times-per-week ab workout (many times only on a yoga mat on a hard floor). Thanks!
Asked On : Sun, 25 Nov 2012
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Thanks for writing your query
Based on your description this injury is called coccygodynia. The lump or swelling usually subside with following treatment and it does not looks to be pilonidal cyst/sinus-
1. Sitz’s bath- sit in the tub filled with lukewarm water for 10-15 minutes two times daily.
2. Avoid sitting on hard surface and try to sit on one buttock. Avoid jerky rides and take rest.
3. Medication wise you may take Ibuprofen for few days.
It usually takes 2-3 week time to heal. If the problem persists see your local doctor.
Take care and wish you good health.
Dr.chugh Orthopaedic surgeon