Sore throat with fever, headache and nausea. Peeling on the tongue and throat. Is the condition worsening?

I have had severe sore throat (suspected strep , but no white spots on tonsils) with attendant fever (101.7), headache, nausea and congestion for three days. I saw the doctor at our military clinic, but she did not take a culture or test for strep. Now, it feels as if the back of my tongue and throat are peeling; I keep finding loose patches of what appear to be epithelial tissue in my mouth when I rinse or drink. Is this a sign of recovery, or is my condition worsening? UPDATE: No medicine was ever prescribed, to clarify. Contrary to the doctor's initial diagnosis of common cold, it was later determined via second opinion that I had mononucleosis. It lasted for twenty-seven days and resulted in a weight loss of thirteen pounds.
Asked On : Sat, 2 Feb 2013