Sore throat, swollen tonsils, gums red, swollen, sore. Gums bleed while brushing. What could be the problem?

a week ago I woke up with a sore throat and swollen tonsils and white spots on them. I went to the dr and they told me it was a cold. I got home and took some old antibiotics I had from an old step throat sick. the next morning I woke up and my gums were really red, swollen and sore, since then I can t eat anything but luke warm soup and mashed potatoes and protein drink. now when I brush my teeth my gums bleed , they are sore, tender, and throb all the time. it feels like I m holding a scolding hot cup of coffee in my mouth. my sore throat and tonsils are all cleared up but my gums are not.
Asked On : Sat, 8 Dec 2012