Sore throat, scratchy eyes, nausea, rash around lips, tightness in chest after being exposed to spray paint for a long time. Advice?

I was using spray paint on a project the past couple days - worked outside with stand store bought spray paint. I didn t wear a mask and could absolutely smell the strong fumes. I was spray painting boxes at close range, to the point that I had paint in my nose and all over my feel, hands & face afterwards. Total time worked actively using the paint was about 7 hours. Then, had about 8 hours of exposure to the painted items at close range all day yesterday. The fumes were still quite strong!! By mid day I was experiencing sore throat , scratchy eyes, nausea and my face began to get a rash around my lips (no, I did not kiss the paint, haha). Today, my chest feels very tight/heavy...what is going on? What can I do to make this go away? I m nervous...did I have enough exposure for long term damage?
Asked On : Sun, 4 Nov 2012

Unfortunately yes it was a bad idea using spray paint without adequate protection. But fortunately this is not likely to cause long term damage.
What you seem to be suffering from is an allergic reaction to the paint. You need to make sure that you do not use paint any time soon and not at all without protection.
You need to start an antihistaminic drug as cetrizine and make sure you drink plenty of water. Keep a very close watch on your breathing and if your chest tightness increases or you develop wheeze(sounds while breathing) you need to be put on steroids than and you need to go to a physician.
As of the rash on your face if it is still there you need to apply an ointment containing mild steroids as betnovate but not for more than five days.

Wishing you a speedy recovery

Dr. Gaurav