Sore throat, redness, tonsils with tiny red veins, dots on tonsils, allergy ?

My 5-year old son complained of a sore throat (no other symptoms). I looked inside his mouth and his tongue looks fine but the back of his throat is red. His tonsils have tiny red veins running through them and the tonsils have round crater-like dots all over them. They are not tonsil craters (I know what those are) but are almost more like polka dots on his tonsils. They are not blisters or filled with anything; they are red and about the size of a pencil eraser. Could this be allergies? Hand/foot/mouth? Thank you
Asked On : Mon, 14 May 2012