Sore throat, pain on swallowing, white spot near left tonsils, visible epiglottis. Cause of worry?

I am a 20 year old female. The last few nights i have had a dry and sore throat when i wake up. today my throat pain has lasted though the day and even drinking water does not help. It is a little uncomfortable to swallow . I looked at the back of my throat and there is a white spot next to my left tonsil and my epiglottis is visible and white. Should i be worried about this? if yes how urgent or serious of an issue is this?
Asked On : Mon, 28 Jan 2013