Sore throat, headache, red cheeks for 6 year old, blood patch in pillow while waking up. Should be alarmed ?

Hi. My 6 year old girl has been poorly on and off for a week. Sore throat , headache , hot, red cheeks, also strange white pallor on face. The past two nights she has woken with blood on her pillow. It is not bright red , more a brown diluted colour. This morning the patch is quite large- approx the size of my hand . Should i be alarmed.
Asked On : Tue, 6 Nov 2012
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

It would be best to take her to be assessed.

It is possible that the blood is related to inflammation of the throat from the infection but it would be best to have this confirmed by examination.

The symptoms of sorethroat,headache, fever may be in keeping with viral illness which could normally be treated appropriately at home with fluids, rest, antipyretics (paracetamol) but the blood would require investigation.

I hope this helps and she feels better soon