Sore throat, have virus, patch at back of throat, tonsils taken out. Is it scar tissue?

hi i had a severe sore throat that lasted for 2 weeks. The dr said it was probably a virus and didn t give me anti-biotics. However he did refer me to the ENT unit as he could see a patch at the back of my throat. I have now been seen and the dr says its scar tissue from having my tonsils out. These were taken out about 40 years ago and i ve not noticed this patch in my throat before my sore throat. Do you think this is the case or should i get a second opinion?
Asked On : Thu, 7 Jun 2012