Sore throat, drainage, red blotches, yellow in back of throat. Need to see doctor?

I have had a sore throat for a couple of days now. When I lay down, I feel like I cannot breath; I know I have had a lot of drainage as well. I woke up this morning and my throat had dark red blotches, and there was a lot of yellow in the back of my throat. The veins are a dark purple color, and are very noticeable. When I eat, it is very tender also. Is this something I need to go see the dr about or is it just from all the drainage?
Asked On : Mon, 14 Oct 2013
Thanks for writing to us,

What you describe are signs and symptoms of acute pharyngitis/tonsillitis. It is advisable to get yourself examined by an ENT specialist and get the required treatment. You may require antibiotics for a week and some medication to soothe the pain. It is not advisable to leave it untreated as it may, in some cases, cause complications.

Hope this helps,
Dr A Rao