Sore throat being treated with Advil, penicillin and antiseptic rinse. Not cured. Alternate medication?

I have been dealing with a sore throat for the last week & a half. The first doctor I saw, a week ago Saturday, said it simply had to do with a cold; told me to take Advil for the pain & gargle with salt ater. The second doctor I saw, a week ago yesterday, said it could be the start of strep & gave me 10 days worth of penicillin . The third doctor I saw, a week ago tomorrow, said my throat was indeed red but he felt it was viral. Told me to stay on the penicillin but gave me a anticeptic rinse to gargle with. My penicillian is now almost done but the pain feels like it is now more inside my mouth, near the back of my tongue , that in my actual throat.
Asked On : Sat, 7 Jul 2012