Sore spots after baby birth, purple indented circle appeared with hole in centre. What could be this?

I had a baby 4months ago, around two months after I had a sore spot on the bottom of my breast by my rib. Everytime I would check in the mirror nothing would be there but it kept hurting like a stabbing pain. 4 days ago a purple indented circle appeared, now today it is a red circle with a big hole in the center...what could this be? Should I go to the hospital?
Asked On : Mon, 18 Jun 2012
Thanks for taking our opinion.
Any abnormality in the breast should be evaluated by an expert as soon as possible. This is necessary to pick up & treat breast cancer at an early & treatable stage. Please don't take the impression that I am suspecting this in you. This is rather a differential that always need to be excluded. However painful lesions in lactating breast are more likely to be inflammatory & can easily be treated.
You should see a General surgeon as soon as possible.
Best regards.