Sore spot on the knuckle followed by swelling across entire hand, not instance of injury. Any suggestions?

I am a 66 year old male, very active in the outdoors, in pretty good shape. A few days ago, I noticed a very sore small spot on the knuckle of my middle finger where the finger attaches to the hand . A couple of days later it began to swell and is now swollen across the entire back of my hand. I am sure that I did not hit or injure it in any way. I m really stumped as to what is causing the paint and swelling . Any suggestions?
Asked On : Fri, 14 Dec 2012