Sore, red and dry eyes. Using eye drops. Yellow crust formation. What is wrong?

Hi for the past three days I keep getting really sore, red, dry eyes . It is usually mild during the day but at night it becomes so irritating that I rub and rub which just makes them even more red. I also use eye drops continuously to relieve the dryness, but then sometimes my eyes get watery and go back to being dry. When I wake up in the morning, I usually have a small amount of yellow crusty build up but nothing severe. I once had conjuctivitis when I was little but it doesn t seem to be bad like that. Also, I noticed when I was rubbing my eyes, under my eye my skin sort of puffed up a little but it looked like a mozzie bite, just not red. Do you know what is wrong and how I can treat it?
Asked On : Tue, 2 Oct 2012