Sore on back, painful, puffiness, painful, discomfort. What is wrong?

My 8 year old daughter has an open sore on her back about midway up in the middle. She can't think of any incident that could have caused it. It is painful even when she doesn't move. I attempted to put triple antibiotic ointment and a bandaid on it, which she claimed made it worse. I removed the bandaid and saw that the sore was now puffy and red. After removing the ointment the puffiness slowly went away. It is round and a little bit larger than a pencil eraser. It seems to cause her more pain and discomfort than an ordinary scrape on her back would. Should I be concerned?
Asked On : Tue, 9 Apr 2013