Sore knees, cracks. Tried treadmill. Is it because I tried to lose weight?

Hi, I am Cate, today i tried to self test for runners knee by putting my leg up on a chair and pushing slightly down above my knee cap and then trying to tighten my thigh muscle, as i did my knee made a loud cracking sound and now its a bit sore, also i have recently tried to lose some weight since stopping work ( 15 kilos put on in a year), so I started on my treadmill, stretching a little first, then warming up for 5-10 mins by walking then alternating between jogging and walking for 30 seconds each, for about 20 minutes. It was all going well until i didnt feel well so had about 5 days off then when I went to get back on treadmill I couldnt jog at all as both my knees hurt too much. Since I have stopped work I have been pretty much inactive, but I do enjoy going on treadmill when i jog and walk but im worried i cant do this with my sore knees.
Asked On : Mon, 20 Aug 2012
Hello I have gone through your query and understood your concern.
In my opinion, the sore knees could be because of ligamental tear when you were under strenuous exercise. If its not resolved in a week or 10 days, you need investigations for diagnosis.
Hope this helped you.
Have a good health.