Sore gums around capped tooth. What could a hard, red spot on the gum be?

I had a root canal done maybe 8 years ago & the dentist capped it with a silver tooth (I guess that s all Medicaid would cover). Well, the last few years, there s been a gap between the top of the silver cap and my gum and it s hurts all the time. Yesterday I ran my tounge across it & in between my silver capped tooth and the tooth behind it, my gums are really sore & it felt like there was something hard and pointy in my gums between my teeth . (like maybe popcorn got stuck in between my teeth). So I tried to get one of the stick flossers and get the thing out of my gums. When I went to dig in between these teeth, my gum came up and there s a hard, dark red spot on the end of the gum...what could that be?
Asked On : Fri, 3 Aug 2012